How to Install Android Jelly Bean on SGS2 - PriceNFees
- On July 23, 2012
Google just announced a brand new update for their Android OS called Jelly Bean 4.1. While this is not a major release it basically aims in fixing the bugs from the previous ICS version. Many of you must be running Android ICS on your mobile devices and if you are wondering how to get your hands on the latest version then you are in the right place. No, I am not taking about the official company updates and all; this is a tutorial that will teach you how to install the basic Jelly Bean 4.1 on your SGS2. Without further due let’s get started.
PLEASE NOTE: SGS2 ICS WARNING
There is a SGS2 preview ROM called CM-10 and this ROM is currently under development. What you will find is a beta version of Jelly Bean. Therefore you can expect a lot of bugs and glitches. However, this is the exact process you need to do for any future update. All you need to do is get the latest version of the ROM and update it. Sounds a bit confusing right? Don’t worry! I will explain you the steps in greater detail to make things crystal clear.
Jelly Bean Installation Steps
- First and foremost you need to backup all your data especially for the ones stored in your internal memory because they are going to be erased with this update. If you have any SD card then please remove it from your SGS2 prior to installation. For your backup, I recommend that you go ahead and download the app called Backup Master which stores all your internal memory files in your external SD Card. Remember that your SD card is totally safe during this upgrade and taking it out is just an extra precaution.
- Once your backup is complete go ahead and install the Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) version 4.0.3 XXLPQ Firmware. You can find the complete guide here. This step is important and a must for installing Jelly Bean. So make sure you follow all the steps and install it correctly.
- Install ClockWorkMod Recovery (CWM) for XXLPQ. You can find download links and instructions here.
- Once you are through setting up CWM, now the real fun begins. Go ahead and download the CM-10 ROM for Android Jelly Bean 4.1. [Download Here]
- You also need to download Google Apps Package if you want to use the default applications like Gmail, Android Market etc. [Download Here]
- Now, connect your SGS2 with your PC and upload the contents of Step 3 and 4 into your internal storage. Do not upload in any folder, simply copy in the main directory so that it is easier for you to find.
- Switch off your phone and now press the Power, Home and Volume Up Button together to enter into CWM Recovery Mode. In the recovery mode, you need to use your Volume Keys for scrolling and the power key to make a selection.
- In the Recovery Mode select Wipe Data/Factory Reset then yes. What this does is, it clears your factory settings but keep the installation files in case you want to revert.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- Now that Jelly Bean Installation is complete choose install zip from your SD Card again and then select gapps-jb-20120715.zip. This will install the Google Apps Package.
- After both installation is complete, select back and select Reboot to restart your SGS2. When you restart for the first time it might take a while to start up (approx. 5-6 minutes).
- Done! You will have Alpha CM-10 Jelly Bean ROM running on your SGS2.
Please understand that the ROM is still under development and like I mentioned before you will experience some issues with it. If a new version of the ROM comes out then all you need to do is repeat steps 4 to 11. Please make sure you know what you are doing because you will be playing around with your factory settings and over-riding them.
Search the Blog
- rahul247rocks on FIFA 14 Controls Tutorial for PC [Video]
- ronit shah on FIFA 14 Controls Tutorial for PC [Video]
- Chandra Sekhar on Why OLX is my favorite Classified Service
- Rowan Gonzalez on Facebook just launched Embed Posts feature for all it’s users
- christian on How to Get New Redesigned Facebook News Feed [Video]